The Foundation in Psychology programme is designed to instil the relevant fundamental concepts in students who want to pursue undergraduate study in the field of Guidance and Counselling and Psychology. This programme aims to provide a pathway for a diploma in the area of Guidance and Counselling and Psychology. It is synergized with other Foundation programmes of Villa College to ensure that students who complete the programme are equipped with the necessary academic skills to cope in their Diploma and Degree programmes.
The broader goals of the programme are as follows:
· Acquire foundational knowledge and skills to pursue an undergraduate study programme in the area of psychology or guidance and counselling;
· Be familiar with different areas of specialisations available within psychology and make an informed assessment of available opportunities for professional growth;
· Acquire language and mathematical skills required to undertake further studies;
· Acquire analytical and research skills for carrying out a range of activities independently for study purpose and workplace application.
· Explore relevant theories and concepts of human psychology and guidance counselling;
· Demonstrate generalized understanding of the fundamental theories and concepts of organisational behaviour and relate to them through everyday experiences;
· Demonstrate competent use of numeracy, literacy and problem-solving skills to make reasoned arguments and construct cohesive writing;
· Identify, practise and develop a range of interpersonal skills to communicate and respond appropriately in a wide range of situations; and
· Demonstrate generalised understanding of the ethical principles and practices in human psychology and guidance counselling.