A research symposium was conducted by Institute for Research and Innovation, Villa College on the 16th November 2014 in Villa College Hall.
Twenty participants from several institutions in the Maldives and more than twenty researchers from Villa College participated in the symposium. The participants were from Ministry of Economic Development, Ministry of Finance, National Institute for Education, IGMH, ADK, Maldives Diabetes Society, and some of the schools in Male’.
The initiative was taken to promote the idea of collaborative research in Maldives. The research symposium focused on finding answers to issues in Maldives through research in order to make informed decisions for the betterment of life in Maldives. The symposium also included a presentation of research posters from researchers at Villa College. These posters were
- Dhivehi Language intervention on English Language writing
- Effectiveness Tablets at VIHS
- Issues and Obstacles Faced by Women in IT Industry
- Socioeconomic and Religious factors influencing Contraceptive Use and Family Planning in Maldives
- Big Data Analysis
- ICT Readiness at VIHS
- Homeschooling in Maldives: Who and Why?
- Errors and Misconceptions in Algebra
- Effectiveness of ABA Therapy in Autism
- An Inquiry into Teaching Practicum at Villa College
The symposium consisted of three main parts. First, a demonstration of Kinect and its use in education and health were highlighted by Mr. Zahid. Next was Prof. Ugail’s presentation on Collaborative Research. The symposium concluded with discussion which resulted in selection of possible research questions and why they are important for Maldives under the themes of education, environment, health and ICT.